Had itchy red bumps on legs, feet and arms. Tried creams and antibiotic but no help, given steroid

Hi for 2 weeks I've had itchy red bumps occuring on my legs and feet mostly but also on my arm. They start of small or as an itch than turns into a big red bump and they leave a ugly black XXXXXXX when they leave. I've tried all itch creams nothing works my doctor put me on a antibiotic it didn't work but she put me on a steroid dose pack and it worked but came back when it finished. Now she trying to start me on a ridiculous amount of prednisone 80mg for 3 days,60mg for 3 days and so on. What can this be? What can I do? I honestly feel she's just guessing and playing around with meds. The itching is worse at night and after I shower. My feet and legs now look like I've been attached my mosquitoes and ants for years.
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Probably you are suffering from urticaria.
It is an allergic condition.
The exact cause is not known but blood tests can be beneficial..
I would like to know if any test has been done for you.
I would also like to see a photograph of lesions.
This will Help me in giving a closer diagnosis. Please upload a photograph of the lesions.
I would also like to know how the lesions appeared.
They appeared suddenly or appeared after taking a particular food or coming in contact with a particular thing.
You doctor is giving you a correct treatment. steroid is the best treatment in allergic condition.
It can be given in a dose of 1 mg per kg body weight.
Also tapering the dose must be done , which she is doing.
Let me know the above and upload a photograph .
Waiting for your response.
Thank you.
Follow-up: Had itchy red bumps on legs, feet and arms. Tried creams and antibiotic but no help, given steroid 3 hours later
The lesions occurred suddenly. I can't remember anything I used or ate that could've brought on such a thing. But this has happened before but my derm said it was sand fleas and she prescribed an ointment called muprocin. It worked then but hasn't worked so well now. I attached the pic in the my reports section
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Sorry I could not find the reports.
There is an option to attach them on right side of query page.
With your description I am almost certain that you have developed urticaria.

Please continue with steroids,
Short term steroids will not harm you.
Also take anti histamine like cetrizine.

Please get the following blood tests done.
1. CBC
2. T3 T4 TSH
3. Ig E levels
4. Renal function test
5. LFT
These tests will help in finding out the exact cause.
Feel free to ask any other doubts.
Thank you.