Had ipl laser done for acne scarring. Face is always red. What to do?

I just had ipl laser done for acne scarring, my face is always red, what should I do? Whats a laser treatment for redness that I can get done? I don't want to continue these ipl treatments for scarring because its not that bad, its just the redness and red marks that put me down. Need help. Options?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
inflammation post laser goes away

Detailed Answer:

I was asked to pick this query up because I was working with a cosmetic surgeon earlier and I was seeing such cases in my clinic.

As far as I treat such patients with simple icing and over the counter NSAIDs like Ibuprofen for two to three days.

Post laser inflammation is commonly observed for 48 to 72 hours after Laser treatment for scarring. That is because of the increased blood flow to the area trying to take the inflmmatory mediators to the procedure site on the face. These mediators also help in healing.

I suggest the following:
Do not go out in the sun
Ice pack four times a day
Ibuprofen up to 400 mg twice a day
If the redness does not disappear or increases please go to the treating doctor

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Had ipl laser done for acne scarring. Face is always red. What to do? 13 hours later
So I see my derm this Friday, my scarring is pretty faded and less visible I would say, but redness and red marks are unreal . Wow. So im wondering instead of using creams for the redness and marks if I could just get laser done? What about pulse XXXXXXX laser? How does that work, and would that work for my face according to my pictures? /And how many treatments would I need? I just want my face to be normal.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Laser is not treatment for laser induced redness

Detailed Answer:

I do not think laser is treatment for laser treatment induced redness and marks. My judgement is to put ice wrapped cloth on the redmarks before you see the Dermatologist on Friday.

I am not finding any pictures attached here. Please upload them again or else you can send to YYYY@YYYY with Sub "ATTN DR MAZUMDAR".

Follow-up: Had ipl laser done for acne scarring. Face is always red. What to do? 10 hours later
What about pulsed XXXXXXX laser? I uploaded 2 pictures.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is only erythema and not treated by PDL

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the pictures. It is plain erythema.

PDL does not treat erythema without visible blood vessels.
Though PDL technology have maximized the ability to treat linear vessels such as lower-extremity spider veins, and linear facial vessels associated with rosacea, photodamage or simply heredity. It does not help in conditions where there the erythema is not because of dilated and visible or engorged blood vessels. It can be used to treat diffuse erythema such as the facial redness of rosacea, scars and striae with less risk of epidermal damage and hyperpigmentation.

Not for your current redness. If the IPL did not bring the expected results you may ask your Derm about PDL.
Follow-up: Had ipl laser done for acne scarring. Face is always red. What to do? 4 hours later
My face is just a mess today, redness,breakouts, and my red marks are still here. I uploaded 2 pictures of my face today. Im thinking of going back on Accutane im not sure yet, but it will help with breakouts like it did before. Options? Opinions?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If you keep observing you tend to find faults

Detailed Answer:

As the psychologists say if you keep observing something which is perfect like picasso's painting you find faults in it too. As I see your pictures the face is almost perfect. The face looks blushed than redness out of a problem.

If you still wish to go back on Accutane it is your wish but my advice is to inform the dermatologist before you actually do it.

Thank you.