Had intercourse. Started spotting. Pregnancy test negative. What are the chances of pregnancy?

I slept with my boyfriend on July 4th and I experienced spotting for an hour or two on July 7th. I'm due to start my period on the 23rd but I have been feeling like I may be pregnant... I took a pregnancy test last night but it was negative. I am just wondering if it may be too early to tell if I am pregnant, or if I have something going on with me that would have caused that kind of spotting on July 7th if not? I have never experienced spotting between periods before and my monthly periods are always regular. If I am pregnant it would mean it has been 16 days since I conceived. Would the pregnancy hormone be detectable this early? I feel it should be since I am due to start my period on the 23rd..

Also, the reason I think I am pregnant is because I was extremely fertile on July 3-4th because of the moon phase I was born under which is the full moon and the full moon this month fell on july 3rd. My period had begun XXXXXXX 26 but I really feel women ovulate when the moon is in the phase she was born under.. Not 14 days after her period...

Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later
Urine pregnancy tests are usually not able to detect pregnancy until your period is overdue by 4-5 days. To detect the pregnancy early, you can get your serum beta HCG levels evaluated. A rising titre is suggestive of pregnancy.
The mild spotting you had on 7th July might be due to mild hormonal changes or ovulation around that time. This is not worrisome.
You will have to wait till 27th July for repeating the urine test.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.