Had hysterectomy, started hot flashes, swollen sensation in neck and ear pressure. Can HRT patch be taken?

Is it XXXXXXX to start using HRT patch (estradiol) after a break of six months? My hot flashes have become quite bad (I'm 50, had full hysterectomy 10 years ago) and I'd like to start using it again, but I read somewhere it's XXXXXXX to go off and on HRT as it could cause a stroke. I keep getting a weird swollen/tense sensation in my neck and slight feeling of pressure in my ears and wonder if this could be linked to either low eostrogen, or possibly heart problems.
Posted Mon, 7 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can start .

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that yes you will find it in lot of places written that stopping and starting again increases the risk of stroke but as a whole taking hormonal contraceptives increase the risk for stroke as compared to general population .

Oestrogen creates a hypercoagulable state in the body and this risk relates to that . But if you are having problems after leaving HRT you can consult a gynaecologist and restart the treatment according to her . But first it needs to be assessed that what other risk factors exist and their extent . That is the benefits needs to be weighed against the risks as you already suffer from hypertension and heart disease .

What symptoms you are telling are non specific and may not be related to either lack of estrogen or heart disease.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti