Had hysterectomy done. Taking oyster shell calcium pill. Is this the best calcium?

Infertility Specialist
I am 77 tears old. I am taking 1000mg oyster shell calcium daily. Had total htsterectomy (ovaries included) in 1976 for removal of fibroid tumor. Am not on any estrogen since July, 2013. Is this the best calcium or should i take another type? I take no prescriptive drugs, only vitamins.

Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 30 minutes later

I have read your query & I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) The amount and type of calcium you are consuming is good enough and it will give protection to your bones.

2) Though there is no estrogen due to removal of ovaries, you dont need to take any estrogen preparations. Hence you dont need anymore prescriptions.

3) I would like to reassure you that keep taking the same calcium preparation daily and you dont need any more medications.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Had hysterectomy done. Taking oyster shell calcium pill. Is this the best calcium? 13 minutes later
I am mainly concerned about oyster shell calcium vs other types of calcium. Are there any serious side effects from one more than another?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 minutes later

Oyster shell calcium is good calcium preparation and more natural preparation than other calcium preparations. Even other calcium preparations dont have any considerable side effect. All the calcium preparations available are approved by FDA and hence suitable for long term consumption.

Hence no need to worry about the calcium preparations side effects.

I hope you are clear of your doubt now. Please get back to me for anymore queries.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol