Had hurt while hitting punch bag. Having pain from little finger knuckle to wrist. How to get relief from pain?

I hurt my hand a few weeks ago hitting a punch bag. Later that evening when i picked something up i had a sharp shooting pain from my little finger knuckle to my writst. Since then it has been sore and i have developed a lump near my wrist. This morning i slipped getting into my car and bashed my little finger knuckle of the steering wheel and since then i keep getting a sharp pain when i move my finger a certain way. My hand is also tender along the bone. The only strange thing is is that it doesn't really look swollen. I've taken painkillers and anti-imflamatories but it still hurts.
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Based on your description, it seems likely that you have injury to the 5 th metacarpal bone, ie. the bone in line with the little finger up to wrist. There is also a possibility of a minor fracture. This has to be ruled out.

I would recommend that you must get an X XXXXXXX of the hand. This will conslusively show if there is a fracture or not.

Till then, avoid doing things involving the movement of the little finger. Also try and avoid movement of the wrist. You can apply cold compressess over the injured area for the time being.

Please consult your orthopaedician for the x XXXXXXX

Do get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran