Had hit on leg. Noticed lump above ankle on inside of fibula bone. Should I be concerned?

Cardiologist
Question
My son plays lacrosse and take many hits to his legs during games. He just noticed a lump about 2 to 3 inches above his ankle on inside of fibula bone. There's no pain and lump doesn't move. Could have been hit there and had a bruise at one time. Should we be concerned?
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in sub specialty of cardiology.
I read your question with diligence.

There is lump, which does not move and is not tender. It seems to be arising from bone. Yes, there is cause of concern not of panic. Old healed wounds in playful child can behave like this but so can some benign or malignant tumors. It is not possible to speculate and that would give you more worry. Please see his regular doctor, who may order some investigations. Within hours everything will be clear. Diagnosis made on basis of wishful thinking and speculation in a country where medical services are available is not a correct approach. Neither it is scientific nor it is rational. Please go ahead and clear your doubts rather than having the stress of unknown. In Ridgewood, NJ you have doctor population ratio of one of the best in the world compare it to some of unfortunate people in this world who have to travel one full day and wait for doctor 6 hours before they can see him. The hours I was talking about are weeks there. Not taking use of privilege is unfair.
Personally, with the description of games he plays and hits he takes I believe it is injury related healed hematoma: totally benign condition.
Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Had hit on leg. Noticed lump above ankle on inside of fibula bone. Should I be concerned? 55 minutes later
I plan to take him to a doctor on Thursday to have it checked out. Thanks so much for your speedy reply. Have a Happy 4th of July.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 51 minutes later
Happy 4th July XXXXXXX Please do not worry everything will be alright.
Write back YYYY@YYYY to wish 15th August to me (what is July 4th to you, Aug 15 is to us). Have a nice day, regards.

Unless you want to ask anything, I will be happy to answer, please close the query with comments. It was pleasure interacting with you. I admire the parents who encourage children to play instead of watching TV and playing on internet in play time. To add ruefully, I failed in this respect.

Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW