Had hit on back of ear. Swelling occurred. What cure should I take?

My son fell back on his bed and hit the footboard with the back of his ear. Initial swelling occurred. I put ice on the area and the swelling seems to have subsided. The problem is this happened right before bed time and he is fast asleep. Should I keep him awake to make sure he is ok?
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 59 minutes later
Did he encountered ear bleed/ Was he momentarily unconscious? If not just just have a watch, let him sleep. Give some analgesic if he is complaining of pain. If he appears restless, confused, vomits then immediately shift to ER.
If he is fine just show him to your family physician coming morning. If there is a need he may ask for CAT scan.
If there are any more concerns, feel free to ask.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Neeraj Baheti