Had high blood sugar level, advised changes in diet. How to control it?

Excellent

Question
Hi Doctor
Recently I had my bloodsugar check done for both fasting and post lunch the result was fasting (230mg) and PP (208mg), my family doctor advised me to do some changes in my daily intake of foods, I just want your expert advise on this and how I can control my blood sugar going forward and bring it to the normal level and stay fit and healthy without any worries, my age is 41 years.
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need medications...

Detailed Answer:

From what I see your fasting blood sugar is very high and so in post prandial blood sugar. I think besides dietary changes, you need to increase physical activity (exercises). You will also benefit from using anti diabetic medication.

If I were to be your treating doctor, I would start oral hypogylcemic drugs like metformin 500mg twice daily and repeat blood sugars after a week.

At this point of time, let me remind you not to take any oral hypoglycemic drugs without a physician looking after you. Consult a diabetologist and you can start specific medications.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Had high blood sugar level, advised changes in diet. How to control it? 11 minutes later
Thanks for your advice doctor, as prescribed I have been doing regular exercises as well as some walking everyday and I would also follow the dietary changes as advised by my family doctor, at the moment he has not prescribed m any medication and have kept me on watch for atleast a month to check and see the changes in my sugar level, hence I would like to know whether what my doctor says is correct or should I have to check with some other doctor for the same. Would there be any problem if I wait for a month to check and see the results please advice me on this sir.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I prefer to start medication...

Detailed Answer:

Diabetes is managed differently by individual doctors. There is set protocols here; further the choice of treatment is also quite varied.

Based on my opinion your fasting blood sugar is quite high and I feel starting medications at least one dose at night would benefit you. The drug can be stopped if subsequent blood sugar are in limits. You can consider taking a second opinion from a diabetologist near your locality and take a decision.

As far as waiting is concerned, sugars above 300 can cause worrisome symptoms; it may be good to monitor sugar more frequently say each day or every two days using a glucometer.

Follow-up: Had high blood sugar level, advised changes in diet. How to control it? 4 minutes later
Thanks once again will do so as advised

Answered by Dr. Prasad 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome...

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.

If all your questions are answered, please close this discussion.