Had hepatic encephalopathy, was in coma. Now conscious but in drowsy state. Due to alcoholic liver cirrhosis. Suggest?

My father has been hospitalized with hepatic encephalopathy . He was in Coma when he was admitted 1 week ago. He is now conscious but is in drowsy state. He is 58 yrs old. Doctors say that this is the result of alcoholic liver cirrhosis. Also,Doctors are infering that atleast 80% ofthe liver is damaged. Is there any way out?
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....the ultimate treatment is liver transplant only.
Detailed answer...
With proper treatment hepatic encephalopathy can be reversed.Although patient is still drowsy but god willing he may come out of it.However the cornerstone for any future treatment,after coming out of present ordeal,rest on total abstinence of alcohol and supportive treatment in form of calorie XXXXXXX diet with B complex vitamins and minerals,FOLIC acid,antioxidants etc.
Use of medications has been found to be controversial in its efficacy ,although drugs like acamprosate  and naltrexone have been used by some physicians.
The liver function tests are monitored on regular basis and if it is found that they are worsening in spite of alcohol abstinence,then liver transplant is the only and final option.
It is very important for you to not take even a single drop of alcohol.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck