Had heart attack and had an angioplasty with stent inserted. Recommendation?

My 67 year old dad, just had an angioplasty with a stent inserted. He had a heart attack 4 days before the stent was inserted. He weighs 98 kilos and is 1.80 meters tall. Any postprocedure and recovery recomendations?
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medication, diet and exercise regimen

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

I am sorry to hear about your father. I shall try my best to guide you through post-operative management and lifestyle changes that are required.

Based on the fact that a stent was placed, there should have been some amount of narrowing in at least one of the three main blood vessels of the heart, for which cholesterol-lowering (statins) and blood thinning medications (eg. aspirin, clopidogrel, etc) will be required. If he has any associated conditions like hypertension then the dosage of his treatment regimen might have to be looked into, but if he does not, then his blood pressure and blood sugar will have to be monitored.

Another important aspect of your query is his basal metabolic index (BMI), which is calculated based on his height and weight. Your father's BMI is 31.9, which places him under the category of obesity (overweight). For this reason, he will have to lose weight.

It is too soon to start with exercise, but in a few weeks (2-3) mild forms of exercise will have to be initiated, so he can start losing weight, which would reduce the load and stress on his heart and help in better blood circulation, stress-reduction and also lowering of his cholesterol level.

A healthy diet regimen is mandatory, he will have to cut down on fats and stick to more healthy food (eg. fruits, vegetables, etc). It is best to visit a nutritionist regarding the same.

Monthly check-ups on his cardiac profile, blood pressure and cholesterol will also be required to monitor his response from here on.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Had heart attack and had an angioplasty with stent inserted. Recommendation? 1 hour later
Ok thanks for your answer. My dad love playing golf. How long after the procedure can he start walking and playing golf?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
2-4 weeks based on response

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

I am more than happy to be of assistance.

Based on your father's response to the post-operative management and rehabilitation which varies from person-to-person, he should be able to get back to his routine within 2-4 weeks.

Hope this information helps. Wishing your father a speedy recovery and a healthy life thereafter.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Had heart attack and had an angioplasty with stent inserted. Recommendation? 16 hours later
Thanks again, my dad has a flight planned in 2 weeks. Should he cancel it?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not adviced

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

Flying at high altitudes puts a great deal of pressure on the heart. Especially as the blood circulating to the peripheries (extremities) is slightly impaired. But for a healthy heart it would not put that much strain, but despite of the heart being healthy the circulation is still slightly impaired to the peripheries.

In your father's case, with a weaker heart, and one which has most recently suffered an event, the strain would be slightly more than normal. I would advise against it. For at least the next 4-6 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.