Had heart attack. Placed two stents. Taking Brilinta, Dilatrend and Crestor. Suggest

Cardiologist, Interventional
I have an unusual problem. I am a U.S. citizen who had a heart attack in Macau one month ago. The doctors placed two stents in my heart. I only bought a limited amount of the prescribed medicine because it was so expensive in Macau. So, i bought generic medicines where in live in mainland China, which is far from Macau. In Macau I bought Tritace (ramipril). In mainland China I replaced it with Benazepril hydrochloride tablets. The other medicine I am taking is the blood thinner, Brilinta (ticagrelor); my beta blocker, Dilatrend (carvedilol); Crestor (rosuvastatin), that reduces cholesterol; Inspra (eplerenone), that reduces hypertension and prevents heart attacks; also, i replaced the acid reducer Nexium (esomeprazole) with the cheaper Lansoprazole enteric coated tablets. I just want to make certain that the benazepril and the lansoprazole meds do not conflict with the other meds I am taking. I especially do not want a conflict with the Brilinta (ticagrelor) and eplerenone, which i am told are very important for my recovery. Do you see any problems? I have a big language barrier problem with the docs at my home in mainland China. So, i just need to make certain everything is ok. Thanks so much. My transaction number is 9RL0000F0000
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 5 hours later

I went through your question with diligence. My comments are as follows:

1. Ramipril and Benazepril belong to the same group of drug. However many studies have found ramipril is more useful than benazepril following heart attack.

2. Regarding Esomeprazole and Lansoprazole; it's ok, you can use happily with either ramipril or Benazepril.

3. Brillanta and eplerenone is very important; so continue with this drugs. Esomeprazole / lansoprazole do not interact with these drugs too. Therefore I don't think any other changes you need.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wish you a healthy heart

Follow-up: Had heart attack. Placed two stents. Taking Brilinta, Dilatrend and Crestor. Suggest 9 hours later
Ok. Thanks so much for your time. Because Benazepril is available in Nanyang, Henan, and Ramipril is not, I will take Benazepril. I hope i am not taking too much of a risk by using Benazepril instead of Ramipril. If you think I am taking too much of a risk, maybe I should take extraordinary steps to find Ramipril. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 37 hours later
Hello and welcome again,

you are correct, you are not taking too much risk using Benazepril.

both are similar type of drug of a group called ACE inhibitors, both the drug's functions are same.

so, in my opinion you can use happily without any hesitation.

wish you healthy heart