Had hard hit on hand. Started blackouts and vomiting Swollen and painful hand. Should I go for medical check up?

I sustained a heavy blow to my right hand caused by a door closing on it. It was very painful at the time, shortly after I seemed to take a blackout, then vomited then had another blackout. The next day I felt better and although my hand is slighty painful and swollen I no further problems. Is it necessary to have a check up and what could have caused the blackouts?
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Extreme pain, fear, or stress may bring on fainting. This type of fainting is caused by overstimulation of the vagus nerve, a nerve connected to the brain that helps control breathing and circulation. 
Although you are better but still you must get an x-ray of hand done to rule out any fracture.
Once the fracture is ruled out,treatment remains is simple icing and anti inflammatory drug like ibuprofen.
Please do get a check up done.
You are most welcome to ask any follow up query.
Best of luck