Had hand to genital contact. Have flu like condition, taking crocin. Will go for HIV test. Suggest?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
I had a hand to genitle contact encounter four months back.I need to take aHIV test combo for insurance purpose.I have slight flu like condition and taking tablet for the same.Will this flu like condition or tablet(Crocin) affect test results? Are there any chances of False positive/
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Crocin willnot interfere HIV test.Rare FP with flu

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Taking tablet Crocin (Paracetamol) is in no way affecting HIV test.
Most of the HIV tests marketed anywhere in the world are specific and highly reliable more than 98%. False positive results can occur Fifteen out of 1000 HIV tests as per Wickipedia.
'Flu' is one among the causes for a false positive test. But it is a very rare possibility. On confirmation test or with another test this possibility of false positive result becomes one in 250,000 tests.

So nothing to worry about this rare possibility.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had hand to genital contact. Have flu like condition, taking crocin. Will go for HIV test. Suggest? 14 minutes later
So HIV Combo test will be more confirmatory now after 4 months even with slight Flu/ I had one on 81st day and it came out negative.Please advise whether it is worth going ahead withtest or not.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Negative COMBO after 4 months is conclusive.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
If it is with HIV COMBO test, that too done after 4 months and the same was negative, means it is confirmatory and conclusive that you are totally free from HIV.
Just forget about the past and about HIV. No further evaluation is necessary.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had hand to genital contact. Have flu like condition, taking crocin. Will go for HIV test. Suggest? 45 minutes later
I have not yet done HIV Combo after 4 months, I am planning to go ahead with one tomorrow. What I need to know is as I have slight flu like condition, can I go ahead with the test? The one after 80 days was negative.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go ahead with the test

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

With 'Flu' like condition you can go for HIV Combo test.As it is negative already you will likely to see another HIV negative test only.
You can go ahead with the test.
Dr S.Murugan