Had flu shot and became sick with fever and uncontrollable chills. Suggest?

I had the flu shot yesterday and within 6 hours, I became so sick with fever and uncontrollable chills. My fever got up to 101.5. This is the first time this has ever happened. I always receive the shot every year without any problems. The pharmacist asked Mei if I wanted the higher dose which is normally recommended for people over 65. Was this this dosage too much for me or what do you think happened. Don't want this to ever happen again. Thanks
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....Although normally a flu shot can not cause flu illness but in some circumstances you can get flu type illness.
Detailed answer....
A flu shot can not cause flu illness because influenza virus contained in flu shot are inactivated ( killed ),which means thy can not cause any infection to you.
The only problem a person can get is soreness in arm  and redness at the injection site and may be mild fever.
However there can be several reasons for a person to get flu like illness after the shot.These can be .....
1....It is possible that you might be exposed to influenza virus before getting vaccination.( Flu shot takes 2weeks to provide immune protection ).
2.... You might get ill from some other respiratory virus besides flu like some rhinoviruses.The flu shot gives you the protection for influenza virus only.
3....It is possible to get infected by some different influenza virus other than the virus for which vaccine has been designed.
I hope the explanation satisfies you.
In my opinion,there is nothing to worry and the increased dose has nothing to do with it and  it also doesn't predispose you for similar reaction to the next dose next year.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck