Had fallen on knee, felt pain. Started swelling and bruise with burning sensation. What could it be?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello, I play softball on my local high school team, and was sliding into second base, I slid wrong and ended up bashing my knee into the ground, I instantly felt the pain and i started to swell and bruise and felt almost like a burning sensation in my knee, then the entire area was numb, I can hardly put any weight on it and i have limited mobility, any ideas on what this may be?
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 39 minutes later

It might be soft tissue injury, ligament injury or fracture over knee. Numbness could be due to injury to superficial nerve fibres or due to pressure of swelling over cutaneous nerve fibres.

As you are not able to put weight, it is advisable to rule out any bony injury. Without xray it is difficult to differenciate fracture from others. So I suggest you to get an xray done of involved area and consult an orthopaedicoan for thorough examination.

Meanwhile do icing of affected area, take antiinflammatory drug like ibuprofen to reduce pain and inflammation.Elevate the limb . Avoid putting weight and rest well.

Hope this will helps you. Let me knowif you have any more concern.

Wishing you speedy recovery.