Had fallen. X-ray showed no fracture. Having pain on buttocks, problem in walking. On motrin and flexuril. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i fell two weeks ago and landed on my left side... X-ray determined it was not a fracture, and i could stand and walk a little ..Now I have excruciating pain in the middle of my buttocks and when i lie down and get up to a sitting position it feels that the muscles are being stretched and the pain is awful... i am taking motrin 800 and flexuril..
should I still be in so much pain now.. i can hardly walk..
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 52 minutes later
The pain in the middle of the buttocks seems to be due to a muscular injury and lumbar muscle strain or tear. Since the X-ray is normal, any bony injury is not likely.
You have a persistent pain two weeks after the injury. Usually the soft tissue injury takes 3-4 weeks to heal if proper rest is provided. Get an MRI done if not done already. That will give us a fair idea of the location and severity of soft tissue injury you have suffered. Then accordingly a plan can be formulated in terms of treatment.
You can continue with motrin and flexeril- muscle relaxant for relief.
The following measures will help you with the pain:-
Have Warm shower.
Sleep on an electric heating pad under the area that is bothering you.
Stretch you muscles really well to keep them loose.
Try to keep your muscles warm during the day, there are many topical creams and lotions available over the counter.
Take diet XXXXXXX in calcium, vitamin D and minerals.
Stronger prescription drugs like thiocolchicoside or gabapentin might be needed in persistent pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.