Had epidural anaesthesia and having back pain. Were my nerves damaged during C section?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had an epidural anesthesia for my first child. April 2007. I lost sensibility in my left leg I couldn't feel it for 1 1/2 month.I used walkers.I lost pipi I didn't notice it .I still losing urine. I had P.Therapy. I recovered but I had a back pain and also felt my lower body was hanging from my upper body part even I was at bed. The doctor told me that it was because I was carrying my newborn and the back pain was common in new moms. January 2012 I started doing kickboxing aerobics and somewhat I did a wrong movement because I couldn't move. I stopped that exercise, stopped studying and had physical therapy for around 4 months. I learned that resting and reducing my movement helped me. But I started gaining weight.I do not like to take pain killers.Walking in hard floor was very painful but walking like an orangutan (open legs) was helpful. Did at home the same exercises that did in my P.T.I improved a lot but after going outside with my family I knew I needed 3 days of complete rest.I returned swimming and as felt better I starting using stairs. Now the pain comes and goes.Why if I improved now the pain comes back at high levels? Were nerves or muscles damaged at my c-section and I never should started doing kickboxing aerobics?I do not work and do only small chores at home. Worried mom-nerve-muscle
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be due to a mild nerve injury. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Back pain after an epidural anaesthesia is a common problem. It can happen due to a nerve injury. Most of the times this pain subsides within six months without any treatment. I would suggest that at this time, you consider seeing a spinal specialist and see if with an MRI or CT they can determine any specific pathology of spine causing the pain since the pain is recurrent in your case. Kickboxing or aerobics is not likely to aggravate your problem. It might be related to scarring, otherwise termed adhesions, of the dura mater of the spinal cord, or leaking of cerebrospinal fluid at the site of the epidural into the epidural space if it goes in too deep. The pain can be relieved by doing a hot fomentation and applying a local analgesic gel. Stronger prescription drugs like muscle relaxants or gabapentin might be needed in persistent pain. Gentle stretching the back muscles & pilates classes (way of exercise for good health) are quite good for low back pain following a C-section. They strengthen abdominal muscles and may relieve back pain. In addition, yoga & pelvic tilts are very much helpful for lower back pain. Pelvic tilts means lying on your back with knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Tilt your tailbone toward belly button while keeping your hips on the floor in a subtle movement. At the top of the tilt, you tighten butt muscles & release after that . Repeat this exercise 10-15 times daily to get relief from back pain in great extent. Take healthy diet with consuming more vegetables/ fruits and avoid spicy/ fatty food stuff. Use some medication like muscle relaxant gel for local application, take calcium & methylcobalamin (vitamin B12) supplements. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.