Had endocarditis surgery. Prescribed to take Metoprolol till October. Should I continue taking Metoprolol?

When I was discharged from the hospital for endocarditis surgery on August 21, I was presciribed
Metoprolol (2 tablets per day) The prescription will run out on October 19. Must I continue to take this medication past Oct. 19?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
Although it is not clear from your query that what was the exact indication for prescribing metoprolol, however it is a beta-blocker and is never withdrawn suddenly. It is always tapered off slowly (in case it is to be withdrawn). Hence possibly you will have to take it beyond 19th October. It is only withdrawn suddenly if it has some life threatening or serious side effects.
The common cardiac indications for metoprolol are high blood pressure, rhythm disorders of heart and heart failure.
If you can upload the discharge summary or your complete diagnosis, I will be able to throw more light on this.