Had echocardiogram done. What does the orange color mean?

I had an echocardiogram today. There were many colors. What does the orange color mean?
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
You are obviously referring to Color Doppler examination which is done with 2-D echocardiography. There is spectrum of colour from red dark red to pink then yellow on to XXXXXXX and light blue to XXXXXXX blue from one end to other. Operator does two things (by default in machine) set the velocity of blood representing depth of colour yellow is of lesser velocity than red. Second, to adjust the direction of flow with colour for example it can be set that red is blood flowing towards the transducer and bright red represents 40 cm/sec then yellow will be about 20 cm/second towards the transducer and blue will be 40 cm away from transducer. When velocities are very high there is turbulence and mosaic pattern of colors. These are confirmed by pulse Doppler. These colours are used to gauze the velocities across the valves separating arteries from venticle or between atrium and correponding ventricle. From velocitities pressure difference is calculated. If you have any question to follow, I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes:

Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD (Medicine) DM(Cardiology)
Cardiologist and Internist
http:/ WWW.WWWW.WW