Had dizziness spell. ECG, CT and MRI normal. Have hypoglycemia and elevated homocysteine. Is this the cause?

I am female, 55 years old, fit and healthy. Had a spell of fainting and dizziness, went to hospital and did echo, ECG, CT and MRI.all came out clear but I did have an episode of hypoglycemia whilst at hospital. The MRi has mentioned ill defined sub cortical white matter foci in the parietal regions and frontal regions which is in keeping with small vessel ischemic disease.this concerns me as I am an active person both physically and mentally. Through a Blood test it was determined that I has elevated homocysteine but I have been taking folinic acid and this has brought those levels down. Is any of this to be concerned about? Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I think there is no need to worry much. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic Fainting and dizziness are usually caused by Hypoglycemia Hypotension Hypovolemia As you have mentioned hypoglycemia may be responsible for fainting in your case. It is good that you have undergone cardiac evaluation by echo, ECG and CT and MRI scan. It was necessary as you are 55 years old to look for ischemic diseases of brain and heart. The ill defined subcortical white matter foci may be seen and may not be much significant hence no need to worry. Coming to your second part of questions of increased homocysteine levels, Elevated homocysteine levels are associated with higher risk of vascular diseases. cardiac diseases and stroke. It is increased in people who consume more of animal proteins in the form of non veg food. It can be reduced by supllementation with folinic acid and by taking lot of fruits and green leafy vegetables. Hence my advice is to avoid hypoglycemia consume food at frequent intervals, to avoid hypovolemia and hypotension consume lot of water and avoid dehydration. Try to avoid non veg food and consume lot of green leafy vegetables. Otherwise no need to worry about one episode of fainting or dizziness. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you