Ask a Dentist   »  

Had dental implant. Have swollen lips and cheeks. Not cured by cefprozil. How to get cure?

My upper lip is grossly swollen and my cheeks are as well especially on the right side which is swollen up to my eye. I had dental implants on the lower left side but the swelling started with a sore lump on the bottom of my right nostril which has swelled so much that I am unable to wear my upper denture. I went to my Dr. the 8 th of Feb. She prescribed Cefprozil, 250 mg. but the swelling is more pronounced today than yesterday.
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It will take a few doses of the medication before an effect is seen, normally at least 2 days of treatment is necessary. In addition to the antibiotic, since the swelling is due to inflammation that the bacteria has induced, the use of an anti inflammatory agent may be helpful.

This would limit the inflammatory response and speed up the healing process.

Common anti-inflammatory agents would be: ibuprofen/cataflam/voltaren/celebrex. One of these can be used, they should always be used on a full stomach.

If the lesion is on the outside and appears to that it may have discharge in it, the use of a topical agent such as magnesium sulphate would cause any collection inside to start to come out. This is usually available at local pharmacies over the counter.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any other questions