Had cough and cold earlier. Now have pain below breast, tender to touch. Reason?

Jun 2015

I just got over a six week long bout with a bad cough and cold. The cough and cold are gone but now have pain that is tender to touch and slightly stabbing under the rt breast and over the rt ribcage?
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be attributed to:
1. Infection/inflammation of the costal cartilages (Costochondritis)
2. Strained chest muscles due to excessive strain caused by coughing.
3. Any pathology in the underlying organs like Liver, Gall bladder.
4. Pain from the digestive tract, such as peptic ulcer disease, esophageal reflux, etc.
5. Persistence of the causative agent of your cough and cold even after antibiotic therapy.

Investigation like complete blood count, X XXXXXXX of the chest & Ultrasound scan of the abdomen will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

So, it will be better to consult your Doctor & get a physical examination done to rule out other causes.
Appropriate management steps will be taken based on complete history, physical examination & co-relating the findings with investigation reports.

Till then, maintain adequate hydration & take a healthy balanced diet.
Avoid cold food & drinks, smoking and alcohol.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.