Had confused look and saliva was drooling for few minutes. Is this a form of epilepsy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Would not remember what happened for about 2 minutes. My friends tell that i had dazzed look and saliva was drooling at that time. Also that I had a confused look on my face at that time. Is this a form of epilepsy? Is is serious? can it be fully cured with medicines?
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later

Thank you for posting your query on Healthcare magic.

There are two possibilities:

1. Epilepsy- in generalised epilepsy, the person loses consciousness during the episode, and hence has no memory for the event.

The type of epielpsy can be confirmed by EEG and is well treatable with anti-epileptic medications.

2. Syncope- in this condition, the person faints for a while, due to less blood flow to brain. This commonly occurs after strain, prolonged standing, fatigue, fear, etc.

This is not a serious condition and requires no medicines.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Had confused look and saliva was drooling for few minutes. Is this a form of epilepsy? 18 hours later
but i forget the name of my friends, do not remember what is the door number of my hostel room. I am not able to recollect the faces of my friends. However, I used face book to recollect the names and faces of some of my friends. I took a EEG and it is reported that the left temporal discharge /activity is abnormal. Is this a more serious type of epilepsy?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

Your EEG report is suggestive of complex partial seizures. This is not a severe type, and can be well treated with medicines.

In this type of epilepsy, one can have memory loss.

The common medications useful are carbamazepine, levetiracetam, oxcarbazepine, etc.

You may require MRI brain-epilepsy protocol. Please discuss with your neurologist.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Had confused look and saliva was drooling for few minutes. Is this a form of epilepsy? 41 hours later
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have some more questions. Please indicate whether I have to pay further fees.

1) Can I take throxine sodium tablet (Thyronorm 12.5 mcg) before food and oxetol 300 after food? I was taking thyronorm even before I got this epileptic problem.
My grandma who is a retired gynecologist says MIMS book tells that thryoxine is contra indication for Oxetol. But my neuro doctor says that it is not a problem.

2) I get a feeling as if I have a hole in the throat. I can sense the passage of air and food.

3) The MRI report is normal.

4) Will I be able to regain memory? Will this medicine oxetol prevent further damage that is prevent further loss of memory.

5) Will taking medicines completely cure me?

6) I get tensed for small matters. Will this lead to an epileptic attack. I mean that if I get tensed, will this act as a trigger for an epileptic attack.

7) Even though I am taking the medicine oxetol for the past one week (150 mg twice a day for 3 days and thereafter 300mg twice a day), I sometimes sense (2 to 4 times a day) as if I am going to get an attack. This sensation lasts for few seconds. Is this normal?

Thank you for getting back with more queries.

1. You can take Thyronorm before food and Oxetol after food. There is no interaction between the two (thyroxine is normally present in all of us, in your case, you are just taking what is deficient in your body, so, it is not a medicine in true sense)

2. Regarding your throat symptoms, please get examined by an ENT. It is not related to epilepsy or Oxetol.

3. Normal MRI is a good news!

4. Your memory would recover over time, and Oxetol would prevent further memory loss.

5. Epilepsy can not be cured by Oxetol or any other anti-epileptic medication; but further episodes can be prevented (epilepsy is controllable but not curable).

6. Tension or stress can lead to an epileptic attack.

7. Medicine may take some time to act. However, if you still continue to get these symptoms, you may require a higher dose of Oxetol.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine) DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist