Had cold. Later had headache, teeth pain, neck pain. Have mild congestion. Why is there yellow mucus?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had was seemed to be a common cold New Years day. After about 10 days it seemed to clear up, but I then woke up with a bad headache, pain and pressure on my teeth on the one side and pain in my neck on the same side. All symptoms on the same side. I was treated with 3 different antibiotics, and it did improve, but now I have mild congestion and a really bad smell off and on. If I bend over and hang my head it burns like when you get water in your nose. There is yellow mucus when it is loose enough to drain from my nose.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The presence of mild congestion with bad smell is indicative of a persistent infection. It seems that you have developed a chronic sinusitis.
I do feel your sinus infection is not adequately treated. You require a full course of good antibiotic (such as a combination of Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid or Gemifloxacin), a mucolytic (such as Ambroxol or Bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the secretions, saline nasal spray to help in clearing of the mucus, a potent steroid nasal spray (such as Fluticasone) and an anti-inflammatory medicine. All these are prescription medicines and can be taken only after physical examination. So, kindly get these medicines prescribed by your doctor.

Apart from this you need to do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day, drink plenty of warm water, and avoid coffee, smoking and chilled food.

Taking a probiotic and Vitamin C supplements will help in increasing your inner body immunity against repeated infections.

Even after using the above medications if you are not improving, you need to get nasal endoscopy done to examine the inner part of the nose and CT scan of the paranasal sinuses if required.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.