Had chain saw fall from three feet. Hurts and having pain while walking. Suggest treatment?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Last week, Tuesday I had a chain saw fall from about 3 foot and land on top of my left foot while wearing boots without steel toe. It hurt but didn't bother me any more until I worked out that Friday. I noticed the pain during jumping jacks. I rested it both Saturday and Sunday and then Monday during a run it began hurting as I would push off with my foot to take a stride and then hurt the remainder of the day as I walked on it. Again today while doing sprints the pain returned in the same manner. There is no swelling, no bruising and the pain is on top of my foot where my second toe meets my foot and a little bit more into my foot following my toe. It hurts to the touch in one spot where the chain saw landed on my foot. Pain is not constant only while walking, or running, or doing an impact exercise. Any ideas what it could be and treatment ideas? The obvious being rest is not an option for me as I'm currently going through a training academy for employment and cannot miss time.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should do Xray exam

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
In your case, the only question is if there is a fracture or not. there are no important ligaments or muscles in this area,but such injuries may lead to 2nd metatarsal bone fracture. this can be verified only by xray and depending on result,you may need immobilisation or rest. If there is no fracture than nothing can happen if you do regular daily activities,but if there is fracture then activity may interfere with bone healing and this can be problem.
From your story I dont think this is fracture but it should be ruled out so find some time and do simple foot xray exam in 2 standard projections.
Wish you good health. Regards