Had carpal tunnel release, wrist anthrscopy and tfcc debridement. Reason for discomfort in wrist, hand and fingers?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Had Carpal tunnel release, wrist anthrscopy and TFC debridement 2.5 years ago. Why does my hand ,and fingers and wrist still give me trouble? Everything healed right away and reached maximum medical improvement...
5 LB. weight limit......Tried to get more pain meds but Dr. referred me to psychiatrist
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The mild discomfort and pain in the wrist, fingers and hand could be related to mild fibrosis or a nerve irritation even after the surgery. The mild inflammation around the nerve can also cause these symptoms.
First you might try wearing an elastic brace at night for several weeks. If this does not work you might need to start wearing this during the day. Avoid sleeping on your wrist and use of hot and cold compresses maybe recommended.
Occupational changes such as too much use of keyboards and positioning should be changed. Regular physiotherapy under the guidance of a physical therapist will be helpful.
You can use medications such as non-steroidal antiinflammatory to alleviate the symptoms or you use injectable steroidal antiinflammatory such as prednisolone in the dosage of 20mg daily for two weeks (low dose steroids).
You may also need Methylcobalamin supplements for nerve related symptoms. Do consult a neurologist for the same.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.