Had broken wrist, having numbness in thumb, pain when touched. Dairy intolerant. Suggest?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I broke my wrist in 2 places 8 weeks ago, at the base of the thumb and on the outside of my wrist.The plaster was removed 2 days ago. The base of the thumb is fine, although I have had numbness in the top part of my thumb and severe pain when other area is touched.
I am dairy intolerant, due for a bone density scan soon. 63 yr old lady in otherwise good health.
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 56 minutes later
Hi ,

From description it seems you might develop plaster sore which is common complication of plaster cast.
Do not worry, Take anti-inflammatory drug like ibuprofen to reduce pain and inflammation. Do physiotherapy (finger and wrist mobilization exercises) to reduce the stiffness of joint.

If bone density scan is low, start calcium and vit d3 supplements after prescription by your doctor.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.
Please accept my answer if you do not have further query.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Warm regards
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon