Had blood drawn. Sever pain and can't stand to move arm. Is this serious?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My fiance had his blood drawn today at work. he recently had to leave work cause the pain is so severe he can't stand to move his arm. he does not complain ever. so this has me really worried its serio
us please help
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later

Intravenous needle prick pain reduces spontaneously over a period of few hours. Presence of extreme pain immediately after the prick could be due to a hematoma formation due to local subcutaneous bleeding.

A careful examination by a medical practitioner will help in pointing the exact.

If there is no local swelling then pressing the area for sometime usually helps in stopping the bleeding. In addition mild pain killers and a cold compress on the affected area will help in bringing relief.

In case the symptoms are persistent then consulting a physician for specific treatment is advisable.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Had blood drawn. Sever pain and can't stand to move arm. Is this serious? 41 minutes later
Im worried cause my fiance bike his leg before and never even complained. this seems to me to be major cause he won't even move his arm cause of the pain. the nurse couldn't get a Vienna to draw blood out of the arm hurting. she drew blood out of drew blood out of the other arm no problem with that arm. Kevin is constantly sayin it seriously hurts she dug around and went too XXXXXXX he doesn't want to go to a Dr and i think he should that its serious. who right ?
Follow-up: Had blood drawn. Sever pain and can't stand to move arm. Is this serious? 6 minutes later
That should have been vien not Vienna. and broke not bike. this phone spells everything out for me apparently
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Pricking XXXXXXX in search of a vein for blood sampling sometimes causes a XXXXXXX tissue injury which results in pain. In most of the cases it is not serious but is painful. Taking mild pain killers like ibuprofen or tylenol with hot fomentation helps in reducing inflammation and pain in 2-3 days. In case the acute pain is persistent and any swelling appears then you need to consult your physician for treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.