Had blocked bladder. Inserted catheter. Noticed blood in urine. Cause? May have prostate or bladder cancer?

Oncologist, Surgical
I had to be rushed into hospital last week as I was in absolute agony. I had a blocked bladder and the doctor inserted a catheter which relieved the pain. There was blood in my urine 5 days prior to this which was very dark brown. At the A&E the doctor took a blood sample and 2 hours later told me that they had checked it nd there was nothing wrong with my kidney or liver. I am worried because I don't know what has caused the bleeding in the first place. When I was 17 I had testicuar cancer and he the testicle removed and had prosthesis fitted. I m 45 now and have had no problems. What are the possibility that I may have prostate or bladder cancer. I have had no other symptoms and run regularly to stay fit. I have quite a stressful job. I had a thorough check up with my doctor 18 months ago and had several blood tests taken and an ultrasound to check my abdomen. All was find although I decided not to go for the prostate test (PSE?). I have tried to look up what may have gone wrong and the closest thing I found was renal (something or other) or kidney stones. What do you think it might be?

When they checked my blood sample in A&E would they have checked for cancer cells and if there was anything really wrong would they have kept me in or sent me to see a Urologist straight away instead of telling me to wait 7 days for confirmation of an appointment?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be cancer

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

The common cause for blocked bladder is usually a benign prostatic enlargement. Bleeding could be due to infection. You have to get checked regarding the cause for urinary blockade. The cause for bleeding also needs to be checked.

You have been treated for testicular cancer 28 years ago. It is unlikely to be related to the current problem.

Based on your symptoms and age, the chances of bladder or prostate cancer are low. However, you can probably get an ultrasound, PSA and other relevant tests to reassure yourself.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Had blocked bladder. Inserted catheter. Noticed blood in urine. Cause? May have prostate or bladder cancer? 14 hours later
Hello and thank you for you response, but you didn't answer my concern regarding the blood test that was taken. Would the hospital have checked my blood for cancer cells on the day I was admitted and should they have kept me in for more tests to try and find out what was wrong. I was given 2 full doses of morphine on the day so they knew i was in unbearable pain. Should I have stayed in hospital for more tests?
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
unable to comment

Detailed Answer:
Other than blood cancer no other cancer can be detected by blood test. Of course some monitoring of therapy by cancer markers can be done. If morphine was given, it indicates that the pain was severe and uncontrollable with usual pain killers.

It would be impossible for me to answer what tests were done and whether you should have stayed for further tests. If you can upload the reports, I will be better able to help.

Please discuss with your treating physician regarding your concerns about your reports.