Ask a Urologist   »  

Had bladder infection. Allergic to antibiotics. Suggest a solution to get rid of bladder infection?

Jul 2016

I am 85 years old. I have had a bladder infection since April of this year. I have had allergic reactions to every antibiotic ever prescribed to me. At this time I still have an infection. Please tell me what I can do to get rid of this infection.
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to Post Menopausal Urethral Stenosis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have repeated episodes of UTI since a long time and no antibiotic is effective you being sensitive to all common antibiotics prescribed to you by your family physician.

Most of the time UTI at this age is due to atrophy of genito urinary organs which results in narrowing of urethral passage and there by incomplete emptying of bladder while you pass urine .This stagnated urine is the source of infection.

Please consult qualified Urologist for ultrasound scanning to find out volume of post void urine residue, if significant he will do endoscopic examination of bladder and Urethral Calibration (Dilate the urethra) .This will help to empty the bladder completely and prevent further infection.

You will need to do clean self intermittent catheterisation to empty the bladder every day .This will help to resolve your problem for forever.and may not need to take antibiotic.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you