Had bad hand infection after scratched by cat. Will this OK by itself or require further treatment?

I have a bad hand infection on being scratched by my cat. This is day 7 with no change.

I want to know what you believe is the probable outcome If I just allow this to run it's course. No advice please and no suggestions. I just want to know from your knowledge and experience, will this most likely take care of itself which is what I believe.

Thank you
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

I am Dr. Prasad, a General Physician. You wish to know the outcome of hand infection that developed following a scratch injury.

Well, hand infections have a potential to spread especially when they are a bit deeper due to anatomical connections with the forearm. Such potential complications are expected if the infection is caused by more virulent bacteria such as staphylococcus, presence of diabetes and weak immune system.

Even if the wound is clean now, an open wound can be a nidus for a serious infection. Therefore I think you need to reconsider waiting and see a doctor. I understand you did not want to hear advices and suggestions, but I thought you need it.

Hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you need clarifications.