Had antiretroviral drugs after exposure to HIv patient. Possible that antiretroviral drugs have caused Autoimmune issues?

HIV AIDS Specialist

I had antiretroviral drugs for 2 weeks after exposure to a HIV patient - I have not been well since but do not have HIV - is it possible that the Antiretroviral drugs have caused Autoimmune issues and low Immunoglobulan?
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 13 days later
Brief Answer:
ART not cause autoimmune disorder,low immunoglobin

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

1. From you medical history I understand that you are having multiple problems.
But you had not mentioned when you had your exposure to a HIV patient and what type of exposure. Is it a recent one or years back?
2. Post exposure ART taken, how long after this exposure?
3. Usually this type of PEP has to be taken for not less than 4 weeks. May I know what made you to discontinue the drugs after 2 weeks itself.
4. What ART had been taken by you?
If you are able to give more details for the above questions, we may be able to discuss your problem still elaborately.

Of course all ART have their own toxicities and side effects. Each one class or even each drug behave differently.
But they are not known to produce auto-immune disorder or low immunoglobulin level.

Your primary immune deficiency and common variable immune deficiency may be responsible for the low immunoglobulins and also it could be due to the drug prednisolone.
Expecting further response from your side,
Dr S.Murugan