Had an injury in my right knee while playing soccer. Done MRI. What does the report indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
hi Doctor

I injured my right knee while playing soccer and the MRI report mentions following information.

1. Undisplaced subchondral fracture in lateral tibial condyle
2. Grade II signal change is noted in posterior horn of medial meniscus

Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: Had an injury in my right knee while playing soccer. Done MRI. What does the report indicate? 12 minutes later
Forgot to add the below is also mentioned in the report as well.

3. Grade 1 sprain is noted in medial collateral ligament.
4. Mild Joint Effusion.

thanks

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I read through the details of the report.

If it is an acute injury, initial treatment is directed towards reducing the pain and swelling in the knee.

I suggest you to use brace for resting the knee for 2-3 weeks and suggest ice to reduce the pain and swelling.

It takes 3-4 weeks for healing if immobilization and physiotherapy is proper.

If the symptoms continue, surgery(Arthoscopic) will be required to either remove the torn portion of the meniscus or to repair the tear.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had an injury in my right knee while playing soccer. Done MRI. What does the report indicate? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for the info. To give you more detail.

It happened 3 weeks ago and the doctor advised me to use the knee belt/brace for 4-5 weeks and this week i.e. after 3 weeks he asked me to do knee exercises.
I have been doing so for the last 2-3 days and can see some progress i.e. I am am able to bend the knee a bit more compared to 3 days ago.

Also to add there has been no swelling or I think a very little swelling since the injury. Even today there is no swelling in the knee.

But there is extreme pain while I do these exercises like bending knee while laying on bed, or lifting the leg while sitting on chair. Although after few raps the pain comes down a bit and I am able to bend the knee more. Remember its been 2-3 days only since I started the exercises.

Actually I am more concerned about the meniscus and medial collateral ligament. Few questions -

1. What is the severity level of these two things in my report?
2. And for these two injuries what are the chances of recovering fully (without surgery) and to be able to play soccer.
3. In case surgery is required, then can I go back to play soccer again in future?

Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later

Thanks for posting your query again.

According to your MRI reports signal changes in meniscus and medial collateral ligament sprain is graded "1" in severity. This is not severe and there are full chances of recovery with conservative management.

Continue isometric exercises as instructed by your doctor. These help to strengthen the muscles around knee and hip. With good physiotherapy and exercise, I do not see any reasons why you can't get back to soccer again. So don't be worried.

Wishing you good health...

Follow-up: Had an injury in my right knee while playing soccer. Done MRI. What does the report indicate? 35 hours later
Thanks Doctor for the reply. One last question.

Is signal change different to a tear? I mean what is the significance of "Grade II" signal change here?

thanks

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 44 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing us back.

Grades 1 and 2 signal changes do not extend to the articular surface of the meniscus and do not represent tears while grade 3 signal abnormality represents a tear.

Generally, signal abnormalities which are seen on only one image should not be considered as tears unless there is associated anatomical distortion of the meniscus.

If you have not further queries, please accept this discussion.

Wishing you good health...