Had an attack of pilonidal sinus. Should I go for NdYag laser hair removal method?

General Surgeon
Hi doctor,
I had an attack of pilonidal sinus a couple of weeks ago. That was my first attack. My parents are also doctors. They discussed with a very experienced surgeon on what could be done ? Wide open excision surgery was suggested but as my Dad thinks we might be able to postponed the surgery as much as possible by regular use of Sitz baths, and considerable weight loss, I too am working towards that solution. But my main question now is - how do I keep my pilonidal sinus affected area hair free ?
Do I keep shaving or should I start using Elyn cream or any other cream for hair removal or should I go for NdYag Laser hair removal? Where exactly in chennai, INDIA is Laser hair removal being done around the Anus ?

With regards,
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

You need to know that hair removal will not help at all. As you already have pilonidal sinus, the hair is inside of it. This hair ingrowing causes this sinus and results with inflammatory process. When it gets infected, the pus appears and produces acute pain in this area. Such abscess can recur and the only permanent solution is surgery.
Sitz baths and all other things which will make this place clean and dry can cause temporary relief but do not give any guarantee that this wont happen again.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Had an attack of pilonidal sinus. Should I go for NdYag laser hair removal method? 6 hours later
Thanks Doctor but I wish to know the places in chennai, INDIA as to where LASER HAIR REMOVAL around the anus is done.

With regards,
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Here are some laser hair removal places around your area:
Dr. Thaj Laser Skin - Hair Clinic : Chennai
5/3,1 st street XXXXXXX nagar,
North XXXXXXX road,
T.nagar, Chennai
Ph:044 0000, 0000

Dr.Amudha's Skin Care Clinic

36/10,1st floor
(above AAR VEE Medicals)
OMR,Chennai -96

TEL : +91 0000 0000

i‎No.41, Old No.20, 1st Main Road, C.I.T Colony, Mylapore
Chennai, Tamil Nadu

Hope this will help.