Had an attack of fungal infection. Used Lobate. Have red pimples and rashes on face. Prescribed Topcort ointment. Curable?

Excellent

Question
Dear Doctor, I had an attack of fungal infection four five years back and I used lobate G to cure it. Recently, for last one year, I have red pimples and rashes on my face, I met a dermatologist, he suggested Topcort ointment, it is effective when I use it, but the moment I stop it, the rashes and red pimples come again and it grow in size and spread. On top of this, doctor gave me euomonosone cream and told me to apply that three days and one day top cort. I had dandruff as well and doctor suggested to use anti drandruff shampoo. My head is quite oily and I use the anti dandruff shampoo every day. So it is controlled now. But I still have some dandruff appearing in my mostache, eye brow. Not sure whether it is because of this, I have had severe attacks of Conjunctivitis four or five times and some lumps on my eyelid which had to be operated. One of the doctors suggested that I am having Sebborhic dermatitis and it is a chronic condition. I have rashes and scales appear on my ears also. I am working in a stressful environment as I am in IT projects. Please let me know whether I am using right medicines or not. Is it curable?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hygienic measures, steroids.No complete cure.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Manjeth XXXXXXX

You are in right path of treatment by your treating Dermatologist.
Sebborrhic dermatitis is not completely curable because of involvement of multiple factors like environmental, genetic and general conditions as well as personal hygiene . It is well controllable and treatable. It may relapse when there is a stress or poor living condition and poor personal hygiene.

Please follow your dermatologist advise regarding medicines.
In addition my advise is follow some basic hygienic measures.
Hygienic measures are very much helpful in controlling Sebborhic dermatitis.
1. Frequent cleansing of face and eyelids with soap
2. Use anti fungal shampoo containing selenium sulfide or pyrithione zinc either daily or on alternative days. Your treating doctor is well known about this.
3. Have regular healthy diet.
4. Avoid heat stress.As it may aggravate the disease.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.

Follow-up: Had an attack of fungal infection. Used Lobate. Have red pimples and rashes on face. Prescribed Topcort ointment. Curable? 43 minutes later
Thaks, Doc for your advice.
Could you tell me a brand name of the shampoo? I am using Himalayas Anti-dandruff shampoo.
Face wash - again Himalaya's neem based.
For the dosage of the Eumonosone and Topcort, please see the below.
Eumonosone - Using once in a day, usually in night.
Top cort - Every third day, usually in night. On this day, Eumonosone is not used.
Doc told me to reduce to reduce the frequency. But i am not able to so far.
How do I taper the usage?

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dandrex. Continue topicals. No need to taper now.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.

Selenium sulfide shampoo like Dandrex are helpful. Apply once daily. Less than one ml is enough.

Continue the topical steroids Eumonosone and topcort as you are using now. No need to taper the dose now. Topical steroids usually do not have any systemic side effects.
We can try to taper the dose after symptom free period of 3 to 6 months.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.

Follow-up: Had an attack of fungal infection. Used Lobate. Have red pimples and rashes on face. Prescribed Topcort ointment. Curable? 47 minutes later
Thanks very much for your valuable advice.

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome...

Detailed Answer:
Welcome XXXXX,

I'll be glad to discuss about any more concern that you might have now or in future. If all your concerns are addressed for now, please close this discussion.