Had an acl repair with a Lars graft. Noticed painful lump after surgery. What could be causing it?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi I recently had an acl repair with a Lars graft , left leg (12 th July). I am 28 years old and this is my second reconstruction. I noticed 2 lumps 4 days aftersurgery. One is only outer thigh, big enough to cup my hand over (not painful) &the other is above it, above the knee cap but to the left. This lump is painful, when my physio massaged it, it came out in bruising for the next week but still it remains. Both lumps are warm to touch. I am fit, healthy & a non smoker. My physio has not seen anything like it.. Any ideas on what could be causing it?
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
From your description the lumps are most probably due to either a hemarthrosis(blood collection in the joint) or due to reactive effusion in the joint.
The swellings need to be assessed either by ultrasound or MRI. If there is fluid then that needs to be aspirated before it can get infected.
Stop exercising for the timebeing till a diagnosis is arrived at.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards