Had allergic reaction to quinine. Taking pill for leg pain. Having stomach and bowel problem

i had an allergic reaction to quinne several years ago. about 3 months ago i started useing a health store pill for leg cramps and i asked clerk if it had quinne in it and was told no.i stared having problems with stomach and bowls when i checked out ingredents there was a derrivitive of quinne. stopped using 2 weeks ago and still having same issues
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Quinine allergies are quite common, and the symptoms and presentation seem to get worse and last longer with each allergic episode. This is the main reason why your symptoms are lasting this long.

Treatment for quinine allergy is usually:
-Firstly, epinephrine will have to be administered (this helps in slowing or halting actions of the immune system. The immune system causes all the symptoms during an allergic reaction)
-Activated charcoal can be used to absorb any quinine still present in the gastrointestinal system (GIT)
-Diuretics (which are drugs used to eliminate excessive fluids from the body, can be used. Along with these fluids, most of the quinine present in your system will be flushed out as well)

All these remedies can only be undertaken by a doctor and under his/her supervision. Thus, I request you to please visit a doctor for further management.

In the meantime, please drink plenty of fluids, which will result in frequent urination and dilution of the level of quinine in your system.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further queries, I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.