Had accidentally tasted clorox with bleach, throat hurts a bit. Anything serious?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
hi, i am 28 female no health probs. Was cleaning my bathroom about 15 minutes ago with clorox with bleach spray (shower and sink), windex (mirror), and comet (toilet). When i was using the clorox with bleach it was really strong and i felt like i tasted in it my mouth. my bathroom doesn't have a fan/no windows. i'm just wanting to make sure i'm going to be ok- my throat hurts a little bit. and looking online is starting to make me upset.
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
The symptoms you describe are those of inhaling bleach fumes. It can cause a burning sensation in the mouth and throat and also watering and irritation of the eyes. If you are no longer in the room then your symptoms are likely to improve. You were only in contact with the bleach for a relatively short period of time.
I would advise you breat some fresh air and drink plenty of water.
If your symptoms get worse or you develop trouble with your breathing then I would advise you visit your emergency department for further help.
I hope this has been helpful and if you have any further qusetions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger