Had abortion. Torch tests showed Toxopl, Rubella, Cytomega iggs are positive and igms negative. Prescribed rubella vaccine and acivir

Excellent
Question
Hi. Had abortion three months before. Now Torch tests are done. Toxopl, Rubella, Cytomega iggs are positive and igms of the three are negative. Doctor priscribed a rubella vaccine and acivir 200 tablets for 7 days for both of us. What does the test result means?. When should we plan for pregnancy?..Thanks..
Posted Mon, 7 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Past infection; wait for at least 3 months.

Detailed Answer:

Presence of IgG antibodies indicates old infection while presence of IgM antibodies indicates recent infection. Since the IgM is negative for all the three, this indicates an old infection. Also, since there is already resistance to the infection, chances of recurrence in subsequent pregnancies is rare.

As you have been prescribed anti-viral medication, that would take care of any remnant infection. After the vaccination it is ideal to wait for at least three months before trying to conceive as the vaccine needs time to be effective. As such, the need for a vaccine is ambiguous and is perhaps given on an empirical basis as a precaution.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Had abortion. Torch tests showed Toxopl, Rubella, Cytomega iggs are positive and igms negative. Prescribed rubella vaccine and acivir 50 minutes later
Hi. Thanks for ur ans.. I have the below doubts. 1) As u mentioned about previous infection, was that a reason for previous abartion?. 2) When the test is done only on my wife, why Acivir 200 tablets for both of us? 3) Do we have any side effects from this vaccine and tablets? 4) wil it be a problem if she concieves before 3 months after this vaccination? 5) Do we go for these test again after few days. Doctor told no further test us needed? Thanks..

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection during pregnancy can lead to an abortion

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Here are your clarifications:

1. If the infection was contracted prior to or during that pregnancy, it could have contributed to the abortion. Nevertheless, the exact cause for the abortion can be identified only through examination of the abortus and the circumstances at the time.
2. As I mentioned earlier, the treatment that has been prescribed is mostly empirical as a precaution. Infection in either partner should be taken care of as a matter of fact because infection in the husband can be transmitted to the wife and affect the fetus. No active infection is evident in your wife but the doctor may have wanted a prophylaxis.
3. Side effects of the vaccine include allergic reaction, joint pains, confusion, pain in the eyes, headache, vomiting, pain and rash at the site of injection, convulsions etc. Side effects of acyclovir include gastro-intestinal reaction, headache, arthralgias, anaphylaxis, neurological effects, Stevens-Johnson' syndrome and so on.
4. As such, she is not in need of any vaccination or medication because she does not harbor any active infection and recurrence with Rubella is unlikely. Therefore, she can try to conceive as soon as she is ready. If she takes the vaccination, it is ideal to wait for three months because the purpose of vaccination cannot be served prior to that period. Pregnancy prior to at least a period of 28 days after the vaccination is forbidden as this can lead to infection of the fetus.
5. There is no need for retesting now. You may be asked for repeat test if you plan future pregnancies.

Hope your queries are answered. Please get back if you need further clarifications. I will be ready to help.

regards.
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Had abortion. Torch tests showed Toxopl, Rubella, Cytomega iggs are positive and igms negative. Prescribed rubella vaccine and acivir 22 hours later
Thanks for ur prompt answers. I have the below questions.. 1) when I gone through google about these results, they are saying like igg positive means previous vaccination for those virus which protects from virus. But my doctor and u are saying that igg positive means previos infection. 2) What is the expected ( normal) result from igg tests? Those also should be negative as igm result? 3) My doct told no repeat test is required after two or three months also after this vaccination and tablets. So no need to confirm about this vaccination and tablets result after few days? 4) If we go for the same tests again after one or two months after this treatment, what kind of results we can expect? All the iggs will be negative or 5) Should we fallow any diet change during this medication week?. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Presence of IgG refers to past exposure in any way

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Here are your clarifications:

1. IgG positive indicates exposure to the organism in the past, be it through infection or vaccination. Please remember, vaccination is injection of live attenuated strains meant to induce resistance in the body through production of antibodies without causing any harm to the individual. In other words, it is creating a low-dose infection.
2. The expected normal results are somewhat like this- without prior exposure, IgG values would show negative.
Toxoplasma gondii----less than or equal to 9 IU/mL= negative;
10-11 IU/mL =equivocal;
more than 12 IU/mL=positive
Rubella- absence of clinically detectable IgG antibodies = negative;
sero-conversion after retesting in 10-14 days=equivocal;
presence of clinically detectable IgG antibodies = positive
Cytomegalovirus- positive IgG indicates past or recent infection. Such individuals may transmit infection.
3. There is no need to repeat the test at this juncture, even after the vaccine and treatment. Repeat test would usually be advised before the next pregnancy.
4. Provided there are no acute infections, repeat tests would still show positive IgG values in Rubella and Toxoplasma; so also in Herpes simplex. They may vary with Cytomegalovirus infection.
5. No dietary precautions are needed. Only, try to increase the amount of fruits and fresh vegetables along with liquids.

Hope your queries are clarified. Please contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Had abortion. Torch tests showed Toxopl, Rubella, Cytomega iggs are positive and igms negative. Prescribed rubella vaccine and acivir 21 hours later
Thank u..I have these final Qs. 1) We are planning for pregnency after two or three months since she was vaccinated now. Doctor told no need to come to hosp again till u concieve after three months. So no need to test it again before pregnency ? If we test it, as u told it still shows positive only. So how do we take them...2) I was givin only Acivir 200 tablets but not the vaccine. How does these tablets works ? Please provide ur valuable suggestions if any before we go for pregnancy..Due to the abartion, we are bit afraiding.. Thank you so much for ur information...

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no need to retest now.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

Here are your clarifications.
1. There is no need to retest now and it may be repeated only in future pregnancies. If the test is positive during a repeat test it means that there is resistance. This is not a reason to worry.
2. Acyclovir tablets are given here to treat any Herpes virus infection. Acyclovir is an anti-viral drug. If you got the MMR vaccine during childhood, you would be immune to infection and as such, do not need any vaccine. Though it is not suggested, you can also ask for vaccination if needed.

In the present situation, there is not much reason for worry. Your doctor is taking all the necessary precautions before going for conception. So, please follow your doctor's instructions. Beside that, eat a healthy diet, take sufficient rest, refrain from alcohol and smoking and maintain a healthy body weight. Your wife can take folic acid supplements after discussing with the consultant.

Please do not worry. Stay assured and provide support to your wife. Your next pregnancy is going to be good.

Hope your queries are answered. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.