Had a total knee replacement. On physical therapy. Feeling warm sensation on that area. Normal?

I had a total knee replacement, right knee, January 30, 2012. Severe pain after surgery which has subsided. Therapy going great....I am ahead of the "game XXXXXXX However, I noticed that the knee is slightly red and it feels very warm, almost hot. Should I worry? That should say January 30, 2013~ not 2012.

Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 44 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Knee replacement surgery is a common and safe procedure but there is a small risk of complications.
Increased warmth of any joint are usually indicators of inflammation or infection, however the risk of infection following this procedure is 1% ( one in 100 persons). Other indicators of infection would be increased pain, swelling and reduced movement.
It is likely that there is minor inflammation of the joint which was precipitated by movement.

Normally an cataflam, ibuprofen) would be suggested but you are likely to be on an anticoagulant and their use would increase the risk of bleeding. Application of a cold compress may also be helpful
You need to rest the knee as much as possible and monitor for any progression or additional symptoms l Iike the ones mentioned.

It would be best to visit or contact your doctor when possible because even though infection is unlikely, it still needs to be ruled out by physical examination.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions