Had a skin grafting surgery, from knee to ankles. Foot is swollen since. Treatment?

I had a skin grafting surgery 17 years ago when I was 10 years old. It goes from my left knee all the way to my ankles. My left foot has been swollen ever since I had the surgery; I am not sure if there is way to treat the swollen foot or is it too late! Also, I was wondering if there any kind of plastic surgeries you recommend to improve the look of my grafted skin.

Please advice!
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Skin graft

Detailed Answer:

Delighted to be able to help.

The skin has three layers: epidermis, dermis and hypodermis.
Its total thickness varies from area to area but only the thickness of the epidermis is 1-2 cm.In areas of greater aesthetic importance (face. ...) graft thickness can be as original skin thickness, but in areas of minor aesthetic importance -as knee- the total thickness of the graft (from 0.3 to 0, 5 cm) is much smaller than the thickness of original skin.This difference in thickness causes blood vessel problems and lymphatic vessels problems with swelling of the foot.

Venotonic and diuretics drugs improve foot swelling and too are used other not pharmacological treatments such as acupressure.

To improve the appearance of skin grafting there are surgical and non-surgical treatments.
A complicating factor is 17 years since surgical intervention, however you must go to a Plastic surgeon and he will decide if it is possible to receive treatments to improve the swelling and appearance of grafted skin.

I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.

I wish you good health.