Had a skin graft on leg after surgery. Have some swelling in foot constantly. How long will this last?

I had a skin graft on my leg after surgery for flesh eating disease. The fraft is from below my knee to my ankle and was done a month ago. I have some swelling in my foot constantly. How long will this last and can i do anything to reduce the swelling? Thank You
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 19 minutes later

I would like to know whether you have any other associated symptoms like pain in that region or redness or associated fever?

As if there is infection then there are chances of swelling you experience.

Secondly swelling can be present just simply post surgically also.

If that is the case then it would be relieved by leg elevation itself.
Try keeping two pillows under your leg at night while sleeping,and in the day time whenever it is possible, which might help you reduce the swelling.

If the swelling is too much not relieved by leg elevation you can try out glycerine MgSO4 dressing also.

If not relieved by that also then I would advice you to consult your doctor once to rule out infection or any other cause of swelling.

Dr. Rishma Lakhani