Had a right hip replacement surgery. Knee and hip muscle contractions, painful. Recommended quinine. How much tonic water should be consumed?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
3 weeks ago, 6/6/12, I had total right hip replacement surgery. For the past 5 mornings, around 7 am, I have been awakened by right knee and right hip muscle spasms/contractions, very painful but the muscle spasms seem to fade away after I am awakened. A few people recommended tonic water with quinine along with a magnesium supplement,
How much tonic water should I drink? I have no idea how much quinine there is in a 12 oz. can of tonic water.
Any other suggestions?
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later
Night cramps most of the time occur for no known reason, and they're harmless. The cramps in right knee and hip that you are having are not likely to be related to the hip replacement surgery that you had 3 weeks ago.

It can be due to dehydration, muscle fatigue or electrolyte abnormalities. It is better to drink sufficient fluid and also see that your intake of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium ) is sufficient. You can drink Oralyte for this.
Tonic water is reported to contain only about 20 mg of quinine per 8-ounce glass. For treatment of muscle cramps, much higher dose of quinine is needed ( nearly 324mg daily).
You can take a glassful of tonic water at bedtime along with plenty of fresh fruit juices to supplement the required electrolytes.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Had a right hip replacement surgery. Knee and hip muscle contractions, painful. Recommended quinine. How much tonic water should be consumed? 6 hours later
Does Oralyte require a prescription?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
No. Oralyte is available at all the pharmacies without a prescription.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.