Had a rectal bleed, mild diverticulitis was diagnosed. Prescribed hormonal cream for vaginal dryness. Treatment?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
About 3 years ago i had a severe rectal bleed. I was hospitalised and had various tests (CT, virtual colonoscopy ultrasound). Eventually mild diverticulitis was diagnosed. During that time i developed slight vaginal and bleeding from urethra. it drove me mad with worry as i seemed to bleeding from every orifice!. nothing came of it and i was prescribed hormonal cream for vaginal dryness.Months passed berfore i recovered.. The whole thing has now flared up again including the bleeding (noticed on tissue). i can't get a referral until 6 weeks from onset of symptoms. I'm more or less constant pain in lower left quadrant and across lower abdomen. So worried.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
thanks for writing in.
From your description there are two seperate issues.
1. Gynaecology problem
2. Diverticular problem

From your past history as you have mentioned of endometriosis the most likely cause of your urethral bleeding then was endometriosis. The treatment of which is predominantly hormonal. If the pain and reblleding starts then you will have to restart the same treatment.

The worrisome part is that of diverticular disease . Pain in the left quadrant is suggestive of inflammation of the pre existing diverticula. This if untreated can lead to a severe attack and get complicated. The treatment for this would be
1. Go on a semi solid or preferably liquid diet.
2. Avoid red meat.
3. a mild laxative to enhance emptying of the bowel.
4. If spasms become intense then a short course of anti spasmodics which will reduce the pressure in the colon.
5. Antibiotics to prevent infection in the diverticula from flaring up.
Mild warm fomentations to the abdomen will also help.
However if the attack assumes serious proportions like fever severe abdominal pain and vomiting or bleeding with stools then it is advisable to visits the ER immediately.
I hope this answers your doubt.