Had a purple dot on the inside of upper lip. No pain, no swelling, no lump, no growth. What could be this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For the past 3 months or so I've had a purple dot on the inside of my upper lip. No pain, no swelling, no lump, no discomfort, it hasn't grown. Is circular. It's all the same color. What could this be? I'm worrying myself sick
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Presence of purple dot on the inside of the lip is a harmless finding. It is likely to be abnormal skin pigmentation spot or a dilated blood vessel which is benign in nature and remains like that for many years.
If you are too much concerned about its presence then you can get it removed either surgically or with the help of laser treatment but that is not necessary.
You only need to self monitor the lesion for any change in shape, size, color, irregular margins, ulceration, pain, etc. If any of these changes do appear it means it needs to be investigated and then removed under the guidance of your dermatologist.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.