Had a pulmonary embolism after knee surgery. Can I have an abortion?

Dec 2012

I had a pulmonary embolism after knee surgery, never had a problem with clots before. Can I have a medication abortion, or is there a higher risk??
Posted Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Knee surgery and because you were immobilized after surgery are potential predisposing factors for pulmonary embolism. I would be also be interested if your the blood tests that were done to determine whether you were predisposed to getting clots were ok. I feel they were.

The best thing to do would be to see your physician for blood tests for your blood clotting status to be checked. Generally, medical abortions, when well done and drugs as indicated do not produce any heavy bleeding. Very rarely do we have patients that bleed much. Just get your clotting profile checked and consult your physician / gynecologist for proper reevaluation.

Hope you the best,

Take care,
Nsah, MD.
Follow-up: Had a pulmonary embolism after knee surgery. Can I have an abortion? 2 hours later
This is a MEDICATION abortion.... one that uses 2 different drugs....

"Medication abortions include an initial consultation and a review of health history like all other procedures. Two medicines, mifepristone and misoprostol, are used to terminate the pregnancy. The first medication stops the pregnancy from growing and cells from dividing. The second medication expels the pregnancy from your body by making the uterus contract."

Do these medications cause blood clots???

There are no documented or reported facts on mifepristone and misoprotol causing blood clot disorders and even in my clinical practice I have never come across any case or heard any of my colleagues report the medications to cause blood clot disorder. Therefore, I do think it is safe to use the medications to induce abortion in your situation.

In the other hand, they are some few severe bleeding risks and other side effects involved with medical abortions. Even with your past medical history of post-surgical pulmonary embolism, I do not think that you have any increased risk of developing clotting disorder by the use of mifepristone and misoprostol.
In any case, consulting with your gynecologist before use of the medications is of paramount importance. Blood work might be needed before beginning the medications.

Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Had a pulmonary embolism after knee surgery. Can I have an abortion? 15 minutes later
Thank you, I am seeing my doctor tomorrow and will ask the same questions, just wanted to get another perspective as well! Thank You!
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 14 minutes later
You are welcome and seeing your doctor is strongly advised.

Thank you for using and trusting XXXXXXX

You may want to ask me a query in the future at this link.
Please do write a review, if time permits.

Dr Nsah