Had a mini stroke. MRI came with sinusitis. Taking medicine for BP. Recommendation?

Dec 2012

Hi - I recently had what may have been a mini-stroke : reasonably intense aching pain behind left eye / garbled speech / colour drained out of left hand. It did not last long - then felt fine. Was a couple of months ago. I went to my MD and he recommended an urgent MRI. This showed nothing unusual - aside from sinusitis ... which apparently was worse on the right side ( but strangely usually feels worse on the left side ). He also put me on blood pressure medication ( Lisinopril ) which i had been taking but had stopped - and recommended an asprin a day. I recently has blood pressure check and it was normal. Today about 15 minutes ago i had a sharp pain in this area again ... behind left eye maybe actually more towards the left temple. was not accompanied by any other symptoms. Now feel OK - but it was a weird sharp pain that i dont normally get. Should I be concerned about this - would you recommend any further check-ups ? thanks XXXXXXX.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Yes further testing should be done. You probably presented with transient ischemic attack according to your description but another possible differential (plus the fact that you had sinusitis) is viral neuropathy or viral infection of one your nerves located around your left eye which might have originated from your sinusitis.
My suggestion is to do lipid profile (cholesterol, triglycerides), ECG, PET scan/MRI ( image could change after a while), complete blood work-up and control of your BP regularly.
Viral serologies such as CMV, Epstein Barr virus, Herpes simplex etc.
You will need to consult with a neurologist for better evaluation and further treatment ( if need be). It is not a medical emergency so you can take your time and visit the clinic when possible or take an appointment.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Had a mini stroke. MRI came with sinusitis. Taking medicine for BP. Recommendation? 2 hours later
Thanks Dr - appreciate your help. Will do.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later
Your very much welcome and wish you are better health.
Write back for follow-up.

Dr Nsah