Had a lower face neck lift and on antibiotics. Long lump at the back of ear. Suggest the medication?

hi i had a lower face and neck lift 2 weeks ago , i have been on antibiotics, but i have a long lump from the back of my ear to my cheek and is tender to touch.

this is only on the left hand side and feels like glands, i have healed really well with no bruising visable now.

but last week i turned over in bed and felt this sharp pain where the lump has appeared any suggestions please i dont see the surgeon till sunday
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Maybe lymphadenitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this tender swelling you have reported after the face lift procedure.

Considering the information you have reported, this would most likely represent swollen lymph nodes. Lymph nodes generally swell and become painful in response to inflammatory reaction of which the most common cause is an infection. After the surgery, for sure there has been an inflammatory reaction that could have provoked this though difficult to imagine in this case because you had no infection after the procedure.

For now, I would suggest that you manage it as non-infectious adenitis. Cold packs and pain medications would suffice for now to reduce the swelling and control the pains. If you should however develop any symptoms like fever or increased swelling and pain, then you should seek medical attention as it would be more suggestive of an occult ongoing infection.

This would most likely not cause any complications that would undermine the outcome of your surgery unless some new symptoms develop.

I hope this help. feel free to ask me for clarifications and thank you so much for using our services.
I wish you the very best of possible outcomes and good health.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Had a lower face neck lift and on antibiotics. Long lump at the back of ear. Suggest the medication? 16 minutes later
Hi doctor
Thank you so much for your reply, I was worried I my have snapped a tendon or something as the pain was bad when I turned over in bed. I have been on augmenting antibiotics, for a week, so I can't see it being an infection.

You have put my mind at ease I see the surgeon next Sunday as I had the surgery abroad

Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you so much, too!

Detailed Answer:

Thank you so much for letting me know you feel relieved with the information I have provided.

I wish you the very best as you plan to XXXXXXX your surgeon this Sunday.

If you have no further related question, would you please consider closing the discussion at this time? Also, help us with a review so that we can improve on the quality of our services in order to better serve you next time.

I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD.