Ask a Urologist   »  

Had a kidney stone. Urine test showed a trace of blood in urine with urinary urgency. On antibiotics in case of UTI

I had a kidney stone two years ago but as far as I Know it never passed. I just had a urine test and it showed a trace of blood in my urine. Other symptoms were urinary urgency and difficulty urinating. My doctor put me on antibiotics in case of a UTI and I finished them. The symptoms of urgency has subsided. The difficulty urinating has subsided but still there somewhat. What is the assessment of this?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 29 minutes later

Thanks for your question.

The symptoms of increase frequency ,urgency and difficult urination points towards the urinary tract infection.

Your doctor has rightly started you on antibiotics, and the fact that you are feeling better with antibiotics argues well for urinary tract infection.

If you are not 100% , you may need to take antibiotics for a longer period of time to eradicate the infection from your system.

Whether the blood in urine is caused by this infection or the stone, it is very difficult to call, but the residual stone can cause repeated urinary infections.

I will advise you to finish the antibiotics, recheck the urine for infection/blood and do a ultrasound of kidneys to see the status of the stone as well.

Please let me know if have any queries.